The Journalism Writing Lab’s mission is to guide students as they report, write and produce meaningful stories, deepening their reporting abilities. Contact professor Lori Johnston, director of the Journalism Writing Lab, with questions.
Reporting & Writing Resources from the Journalism Writing Lab
Skills for Storytelling and Reporting YouTube Channel: Watch tutorial videos on using style guides, quotation/attribution, interviewing and more.
Also, check out these:
- Book Recommendations
- Reporting and Writing Checklist
- AP Style: Most Common Rules
- How to Use the Online AP Stylebook
- Five Ways to Get In Touch with Sources
- Interviewing 101
- How to Write an Email to a Source
- Using Quotations
- How to Correctly Use Quotations and Attribution
- Guide to Person on the Street Interviews
- Your Guide to Covering a Speech, Event or Meeting
- The Art of Lead Writing
- Tutorial Graphics on Various Journalism Writing Styles
- Using Social Media to Report and Promote Your Work
- 10 Major Writing Takeaways
- The Polishing Process
Professor Lori Johnston moderated a discussion between photojournalist Steffenie Burns (ABJ ’17) (photojournalist) and writer Sonam Vashi about freelancing during an Entrepreneurial Journalism Symposium hosted by the Cox Institute.